WILLIAM THOMAS HAYES
Volume 11 - Pelham
Tax Maps 2003
Director of Computer
The Pelham Historical
Are pleased to present to you in CD-ROM
format materials from the William Thomas Hayes Historical Collection.
The Hayes Historical Collection is an eclectic collection of historical
materials assembled over a lifetime by Mr. Hayes.
Attorney Hayes is a life long resident
of the Town of Pelham.
He was educated in the Pelham School
system and graduated from Kimball Union Academy, Dartmouth College and
the University of Virginia School of Law.
He co-authored "Reflections, A Pictorial
History of Pelham" and has served the Pelham Historical Society as
President and a Member of the Board of Directors for a number of years.
These materials made their way into the
Hayes Collection because they all shed, in one way or another,
information on the long and varied History of Pelham, New Hampshire.
The publication of the Hayes Collection
materials in CD-ROM format is an ongoing project of the Pelham
Historical Society. All proceeds from the sale of Hayes Collection
CD-ROMs are used to support the Pelham Historical Society building,
museum, library and programs.
Please visit the Pelham Historical
Society online bookstore to learn what other materials are available for
your reading and research pleasure.
Pelham Tax Maps
During the preparation
of "Reflections, A Pictorial History of Pelham", the six co-authors
Eleanor H. Burton, Philip R. Currier, Josephine L. Fletcher, William T.
Hayes, Carrolyn M. Law and Joyce E. Mason determined that the Pelham Tax
Maps would be used to identify the location of historical buildings,
sites, cemeteries, public buildings, old homes etc.
The William Thomas Hayes
Historical Collection utilizes the same protocol for identifying
locations within the Town of Pelham.
Pelham's first tax maps
were prepared between 1973 and 1978 by the engineering firm of Davis,
Benoit & Tessier, H. Tracy Davis, President. The work was supervised
on behalf of the Town of Pelham by Planning Board Member William T.
Many materials from the
William Thomas Hayes Historical Collection were used in the preparation
of the Tax Maps. These materials include old Grafton Power Company
high-tension wire right of way maps, the Tennessee Gas Transmission Line
right of way maps, New Hampshire Department of Transportation maps, old
and new HCRD Plans and over 1,000 deeds retrieved from the Hillsborough
County Registry of Deeds by Attorney Hayes.
Carrolyn M. Law, past
President of the Pelham Historical Society, and co-author of
"Reflections, A Pictorial History of Pelham", worked full time for one
year at the Town Hall to organize the tax map materials.
The first set of maps
consisted of thirteen pages. Each parcel was assigned a two field
hyphenated Page and Parcel number. Whenever a parcel was subsequently
subdivided, a third field was created and a sequential number assigned
to the newly created lot.
At a later date, in
order to enlarge the mapping scale, the number of Tax Map Pages was
increased from 13 to 42. However the original numbers were maintained
for historical identification purposes.
Today, a typical parcel
of land is assigned a four-field tax map number. The first field is the
current page number (1-42), the second field is the original page number
(1-13), and the third field is the original parcel number. The fourth
field, except for parcels that have not been subdivided since the
initial preparation of the tax maps, is the new subdivision lot number.
Historians interested in
a particular parcel of land should begin by ascertaining its Tax Map
Number on this CD-ROM. Armed with the tax map number, the researcher
can log on to the Pelham Tax Assessorís online database.
From the Assessor's data
base the researcher can learn the parcel's street address, current use,
value and size. In most instances the researcher can also get a deed
reference for the last conveyance recorded at the Hillsborough County
Registry of Deeds.
By logging onto
www.nhdeeds.com the researcher can begin a recent title search of
the property. A lengthy historical title search would have to be
completed at the following "period appropriate" Registry of Deeds.
Pelham grants and deeds
were recorded at the following Registry of Deeds for the periods
Middlesex County Registry of Deeds, East
Cambridge, Massachusetts. (large dog eared poorly maintained deed books
located in lower vault)
Rockingham County Registry of Deeds, formerly located in
Portsmouth and Exeter and now in Brentwood, New Hampshire. (Micro film
copies are available at the New England Historic Genealogy Society at
101 Newbury Street, Boston, Massachusetts, and at the New Hampshire
Historical Society in Concord, New Hampshire).
While only the more recent Rockingham County Deeds are available on
line, the entire index from 1643 to the present is on line, enabling you
to identify deeds of possible interest before traveling to a site where
the actual deeds are available.
Hillsborough County Registry of Deeds, Pearl Street,
Nashua, New Hampshire. (lower level- books are in excellent condition.
Copy equipment available)
The Town of Lowell,
Massachusetts was not created until 1826 in an area formerly known as
East Chelmsford, Massachusetts. It became a city in 1836. Subsequently
Lowell annexed additional land on the east side of the Concord River
from Tewksbury and the north side of the Merrimack River from the Town
of Dracut. In the mid 1800's, the Middlesex County Registry of Deeds
was split into Middlesex South, located in East Cambridge, Massachusetts
and Middlesex North, located in Lowell, Massachusetts.
When Middlesex North
Registry of Deeds was created, scribes were employed to copy all of the
original East Cambridge deeds that related to the Middlesex North
Communities. The Middlesex North Communities include, among others,
Dracut, Tyngsboro (Nottingham) and Dunstable. Portions of Pelham were
once parts of these three towns.
The earliest Pelham
deeds (1660-1741) can, therefore, be found in Lowell. In fact the
Lowell copies of the original East Cambridge Deeds are easier to read
because of more recent penmanship, better ink, better paper and less
The early Middlesex
North deeds are segregated into separate books by community, which has
subjected them to less use, wear and tear. Photocopy equipment is
available at the Middlesex North Registry of Deeds. (These books can be
found in the back room of the lower level)
You need to know that
from 1673 to 1731-2 the western one third of Pelham was part of Old
Dunstable, Massachusetts and a part of Nottingham, Massachusetts from
1731-2 to 1741. The eastern two thirds of Pelham were part of Dracut,
Massachusetts from 1701 until 1741.
Deeds provide more
information than just property line descriptions. They provide the names
of owners (often with titles and means of employment), names of prior or
adjacent property owners, dates of ownership, acreage, property sales
values, property uses etc.
(size, shape, location, topography, aerial photography) about any given
Pelham parcel of land can be learned by logging on to the Nashua
Regional Planning Commission, MicroSoftTerraServer, DigitalGlobe,
MapQuest, Google Maps or USGS websites.
While this CD-ROM shows
lot lines as of 2003, much historical information can still be learned.
For example, parcels with the same three first field numbers were once
part of the same farm. Smaller lots created by the subdivision process
after 2003 can still be identified on the 2003 Tax Maps as part of the
larger parcel from which they were created.
The original 1673 southwest to northeast line between Old Dunstable and
Dracut from the end of Long Pond to near Beaver Brook can still be
recreated from existing property lines. The 1673 Dunstable Dracut
Northwest Line from near Beaver Brook to Londonderry can also be
presented here are essential to a comprehensive understanding of