In the 1880s, the Town decided to honor its first settler, John Butler.
A group of his descendants made the arrangements and in March, 1886, Pelham
appointed a committee to establish a monument to Butler. The Town
Committee included: John Woodbury, Enoch M. Marsh, Daniel Marshall, George H.
Currier, Samuel Kelley and Warren Sherburne.
On April 17, 1886, the committee voted "to locate the monument on the spot of
land, triangle shape, in front of the First Congregational Church." An
elaborate ceremony was held June 9, 1886 to dedicate the Monument.