Mrs. C. Frances (Hobbs) McLucas was a former president of the Pelham Historical Society. She felt strongly about the lack of written History of Pelham. At the time of her death she was compiling this story of town history and of the Hobbs family. We The Pelham Historical Society was requested to publish it. We present it in its entirety - unedited and unfinished - just as Mrs. McLucas left it.

We would dedicate the story to Miss Mary Hobbs, her sister, who was the first regular Librarian appointed in Pelham. She served the town faithfully in that capacity from 1892-1955 a period of some 63 years. "Miss Molly" was held in high esteem by all those whom she served so well.

We thank Mr. Samuel Hobbs, her brother, now of California, for his financial assistance and encouragement. We know that he must be justifiably proud of his family's long tradition of service to Pelham, New Hampshire.

We also thank Carla (Hobbs) Bordeleau, her grand-niece for designing the cover.

Published by:
The Pelham Historical Society
Copyright © March 1975 as a part of
Pelham's contribution to the
Bicentennial Celebration

Carrolyn M. Law, President

Much of the information found in the Historical Town Sites section of this website was taken from the Reflections, A Pictorial History Of Pelham, New Hampshire 1746 - 1996, Published by The Pelham 250th Anniversary Committee, copyright 1998 and the Pelham 250th Anniversary Souvenir/Program Book, Published by The Pelham 250th Anniversary Committee, copyright 1996.  There are still copies of these books available at our On-Line Bookstore, as well as other historical books and records.

Go to top