John Butler Monument, Pelham, NH

In the 1880s, the Town decided to honor its first settler, John Butler. A group of his descendants made the arrangements and in March, 1886, Pelham appointed a committee to establish a monument to Butler. The Town Committee included: John Woodbury, Enoch M. Marsh, Daniel Marshall, George H. Currier, Samuel Kelley and Warren Sherburne.

On April 17, 1886, the committee voted "to locate the monument on the spot of land, triangle shape, in front of the First Congregational Church." An elaborate ceremony was held June 9, 1886 to dedicate the Monument.

Click Here if you are looking for information on The Butler Family

butler2

butler3

Inscription:

TO DEACON
JOHN BUTLER
THE FIRST
SETTLER IN PELHAM.
THIS MONUMENT IS
ERECTED BY
HIS DESCENDANTS
JUNE A.D. 1886

butler4

 

Inscription:

DEACON
JOHN BUTLER
BORN IN
WOBURN, MASS.
JULY 22 A.D. 1677.
SETTLED IN PELHAM ON
WHAT IS NOW CALLED THE
MAMMOTH ROAD NEAR
GUMPUS POND A.D. 1721.
DIED A.D. 1759.

Much of the information found in the Historical Town Sites section of this website was taken from the Reflections, A Pictorial History Of Pelham, New Hampshire 1746 - 1996, Published by The Pelham 250th Anniversary Committee, copyright 1998 and the Pelham 250th Anniversary Souvenir/Program Book, Published by The Pelham 250th Anniversary Committee, copyright 1996.  There are still copies of these books available at our On-Line Bookstore, as well as other historical books and records.

Go to top